Western riding is a style of horseback riding which evolved from the ranching and warfare traditions brought to the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors, and both equipment and riding style evolved to meet the working needs of the cowboy in the American West.
The style is relaxed, easy to learn and no previous experience is necessary. Sometimes beginner riders can feel a bit more at ease and secure in the western saddle, and some more experienced riders prefer it.
Western style riding is the norm on ranch holidays and we also have an increasing number of riding holidays where a western saddles and western style riding are utilised.
• France, Western Ranch A cattle ranch in unspoilt countryside with western tuition for intermediate riders onwards. Also varied riding out. • Italy, Etruscan Trekking Enjoy a trail through the beautiful Tuscan countryside, with well organised camps or Agrotourism B&Bs along the way. Excellent horses ridden in Western tack and exceptional food and wine await you. • Italy, Maremma Park Trek From the hilltops through the vinyards to the sea, every day is different on this wonderful A to B point-to-point trail. Fantastic horses ridden in Western tack and exceptional food and wine await you. • Italy, Taste of Trekking & Western Tuition Welcoming riding centre specialising in western riding and trekking including courses and instruction in Tuscany, Italy. • Italy, Val d'Orcia Trail Ride along mountain trails, field roads, Etruscan cavern roads, river beds and lake shores on this superb fully-supported camping trail. Fantastic horses riding in Western tack and exceptional food and wine. • Portugal, Monty Roberts Join Up Course Algarve Monty Roberts Join Up course by a certified trainer on a Western Ranch in the beautiful Algarve. Western schooled horses trained using natural horsemanship, tuition on the trail. • Portugal, Western Style Algarve Western Ranch in good rugged riding country in the beautiful Algarve. Western schooled horses trained using natural horsemanship, tuition on the trail.
• Bulgaria, Bulgarian Trail Once you have riddden this trail you will feel like you have really got to know Bulgaria and its people. Ride across the central Balkan Mountains on good horses.
• Bulgaria, High Mountain Trail Experienced, fit riders only - you must be secure in the saddle, balanced and confident. This trail features some extreme terrain so you should be adventurous and quite brave! Some riding days can be 8 or 9 hours in length so you need to be fit and prepared for this. • Bulgaria, Mountain and Wildlife Trail A ride on good horses exploring the high mountains of central Bulgaria with a focus on nature. • Bulgaria, Panorama Trail Once you have riddden this trail you will feel like you have really got to know Bulgaria and its people. Ride across the central Balkan Mountains on good horses.
• Canada, Alberta Working Ranch Set at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Canada this small working cattle ranch is the real thing. On 2 week programmes guests will experience cattle work and learn the basic techniques of working cattle and ranch roping. • Canada, Quebec Gastronomy Week A flexible, family orientated centre-based horse-riding holiday in the picturesque Appalachian mountains of eastern Canada. • Canada, Wilderness Pack Trips Pack trips through the Canadian Rockies - the real deal with awe-inspiring scenery and remote camp sites. • Canada, Yukon Expedition Wild camping trip in the pristine nature of the Yukon • USA, Arizona Working Ranch All round cattle ranch with good riding & facilities and warm welcome. Open September to May with great winter sun. • USA, Arizona, Grand Canyon Trail Vehicle supported camping trip in an emblematic part of the USA. Great riding for intermediate riders onwards. • USA, Arizona, Navajoland Trail Cross three distinct portions of the Navajo Indian Reservation on this authentic camping trail. This ride is for people who are willing to forego creature comforts to become immersed in the unique culture and dramatic landscape of Navajoland. • USA, Arizona, Tucson Ranch All round cattle ranch with good riding & facilities and a warm welcome. Open all year round and a great winter sun destination. • USA, Colorado, Rocky Mountain Ranch On the continental divide, 100 miles west of Denver, every ride from this ranch has a view to write home about. Excellent riding and lots of fun team penning the cattle each week. • USA, Idaho Horse Drives Fast adventurous cowboy trip driving horses in Idaho, camping en route. • USA, Idaho Winter Horse Drives Fast adventurous cowboy trip driving horses in Idaho, camping en route. • USA, Montana Working Ranch Experience an truly authentic working ranch on the borders of Montana and Wyoming; get down and dirty with the cowboys herding and driving the cattle and sleep in the tented 'cow camps' by night. Helping to herd the ranch horses is also an exhilirating opportunity not to be missed! • USA, Montana, Bridger Ranch If you are interested in improving your riding skills, especially western and horsemanship, this is the place to come with regular clinics organised throughout the year and one day or more a week set aside for natural horsemanship clinics on demand. Cattle work is also done for all the neighbouring ranches. • USA, Montana, Sunrise Ranch Set at 7000 ft and surrounded by 2 million acres of wilderness. Family run & offers a great children's programme for all ages as well as having adult only weeks. Close enough to visit Yellowstone & Old Faithful. • USA, Utah, Inn to Inn Trail Comfortable inn to inn trail ride in an emblematic part of the USA. Great riding for intermediate riders onwards. • USA, Utah, Three Park Spectacular Camping trail through the Southwest's most amazing geological formations encompassing Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon and the Grand Canyon. Challenging riding on quality quarter horses. • USA, Wyoming Working Ranch Real family run working cattle ranch suitable for beginner onwards, hot tub, twin rooms and shared bathrooms. Genuine hospitality, good range of horses, max of 8 guests each week. • USA, Wyoming, Moose Ranch Beautiful setting, log cabins, barrel racing, quarter horses, fishing and wildlife. A first class ranch with something for all abilities.
• Brazil, Pantanal Wildlife Safari Experience two different fazendas on this fascinating holiday to gain an insight into the Pantanal culture. Wildlife, cultural and riding highlights. • Chile, High Andes Cattle Drive Experience life as a true gaucho on this annual cattle drive in the High Andes. • Ecuador, Avenue of Volcanoes Trail Point to point trail along the Avenue of Volcanoes in the Ecuadorean Andes. Accommodation in various haciendas and one refuge en route. • Mexico, Central Highlands Adventure See the real Mexico on this trail which has a combination of beautiful nature and historic UNESCO towns along the historic Silver Route. Good riding, hotel accommodation and cultural highlights. • Mexico, Copper Canyon Trail Adventurous trail through the remote Sierra Madre and canyons of Urique, Batopilas and Sinforosa, meeting the Tarahumara Indians en route. • Mexico, Las Cavalcades Charming hosts, beautiful accommodation, elegant horses, fine food and plentiful cocktails. • Mexico, Silver Mines Expedition See the real Mexico on this trail which has a combination of beautiful nature and historic UNESCO towns along the historic Silver Route. Good riding, hotel accommodation and cultural highlights.
Horse Riding Holidays - Western Style
Choosing rides from our huge range of horse riding holidays can be a challenge in itself and you may find yourself going into overload with all these fabulous holidays, but we can help you to narrow down your choice. You may already know which regions and countries you are interested in. However check out our ride category selector. Here you can look for rides by the following categories:
So as you can see there is something for everyone. WE CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!
Don't forget we can always arrange an extension to the riding element of you holiday. You may like us to suggest something or perhaps you have your own ideas. Whether it's time to relax on a beautiful beach, go white water rafting, take a cruise around the magical Galapagos Islands or a see the sights in a city stopover we will be delighted to make the arrangements for you.
Unicorn Trails is very proud to have rides all over the world. Here is a list of the countries we ride in. To see the relevant web page and learn more the country and our rides there, just click on the link:
To create great photobooks of your riding holidays click the link below. They're really easy to make and look superb. We're great fans and have our personal "travelogue" books. We even have mugs of ourselves riding in various spots around the world!