Welcome to the largest portfolio of horse riding holidays worldwide.
Carefully selected from the top horse riding holiday experiences we pride ourselves on intimate knowledge of all of our products. We are not a listings site but expert guides offering independent, friendly and professional advice on veterinary approved riding holidays. Established in 1998 Unicorn Trails is a well regarded and dedicated contributor to the equine tourism industry.
Whether your dream is to cross the mighty Andes in the footsteps of other great adventurers, relax in luxury on safari in Africa, canter across the white sands on a cultural riding holiday in Spain or simply get away for the weekend to explore nature - our goal is to find you your perfect riding holiday.
Rides are available for all levels, even for those who have never ridden before. We believe that there is no better way to explore than from horseback. In the words of our founder and Managing Director Dr Wendy Hofstee: “Why walk when you can ride?”
Your dream riding holiday begins with 10 good reasons to choose us!
1. Clear and honest information and prices Unlike some other companies all the prices on our web site are fully inclusive of hidden extras such as: VAT, Sales Tax, state taxes, city taxes, service charges, non-optional tips, fuel surcharges which can add 20% to the advertised cost. Prices are available in £ sterling, Euros and US$. Once invoiced prices are guaranteed against adverse currency fluctuations. What you see on our web site is exactly how much your total holiday will cost and this will not change once booked.
Details of exactly what is and what is not included in each itinerary is listed on the relevant page of the web. Prices you see on our web site are the prices you pay - there are no hidden extras, surcharges or large compulsory tips expected when booking a riding holiday with Unicorn Trails. Rides can be paid in a choice of currencies and prices are guaranteed. We provide extensive accurate information based on personal knowldge on all our rides.
2. We're true specialists with the biggest choice Unicorn Trails is passionate about riding and are continually travelling all over the world to add destinations to our portfolio and update our huge bank of on riding holidays. Thus we have the largest choice and most accurate and up to date info on quality horse riding holidays throughout the world. With Unicorn Trails you can enjoy hand picked holidays from luxury horseback safaris where you'll sip the perfect sundowner after a perfect day riding among the game, to yurt camping trails through remote Mongolia, to Christmas riding in snowy winter wonderlands, to galloping in a turquoise ocean along a white sandy Mozambique beach, to navigating the dense primeval jungle in Abyssinia on horseback to.......well the list is endless. Our range includes Escorted tours accompanied by a member of staff from London and Unguided trails for experienced riders. If the itinerary or the dates aren't exactly right for you - just contact us and we will try to tailor a holiday for you. We genuinely care about our clients and our aim is to find you a perfect holiday so that you will want to return to us time and time again.
3. Financial Security With Unicorn Trails your money is completely secure as we are fully insured and licensed and comply with all relevant UK and EU laws.
ABTOT Policy cover:
The Association of Bonded Travel Organisers Trust Limited (ABTOT) provides financial protection under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 for Unicorn Trails, and in the event of their insolvency, protection is provided for the following:
non-flight packages commencing in and returning to the UK;
non-flight packages commencing and returning to a country other than the UK; and
flight inclusive packages that commence outside of the UK, which are sold to customers outside of the UK.
1, 2 and 3 provides for a refund in the event you have not yet travelled. 1 and 3 provides for repatriation. Please note that bookings made outside the UK are only protected by ABTOT when purchased directly with Unicorn Trails.
Protection for Holidays with flights included:].
The air holidays and flights on this web site are ATOL Protected, since we hold an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence granted by the Civil Aviation Authority. Our ATOL number is ATOL 6431. In the unlikely event of our insolvency, the CAA will ensure that you are not stranded abroad and will arrange to refund any money you have paid to us for an advance booking. For further information, visit the ATOL website at www.atol.org.uk.
4. Complete licensed travel service Of course being ATOL bonded we can arrange flights if you wish. However we give you the option to do these yourself if you so choose. Transfers either included or can be arranged for you, to provide a door to door service for ease of mind. Perhaps you may like to hire a car while you are away and we can take care of that too. On all equestrian holidays you will need travel insurance that includes horse riding. Unicorn Trails is FSA authorised (firm reference number 496176) to advise on travel insurance and we offer competitively priced cover.
In addition to all the usual travel services we also offer a carbon offsetting project to allow carbon neutral travel.
Although your focus may be on riding you may like us to arrange an extension to your equine holiday. Perhaps you'd like to finish with a relaxing few days at a beach or spa or perhaps a sight-seeing city stay, or perhaps you'd like to go white water rafting or perhaps take a tour to Easter Island! Just let us know what you'd like and we'll arrange it based on our knowledge of the country. 5. Safety Your safety and comfort is paramount to Unicorn and we are ruthlessly selective with the rides we offer. Our Managing Director is a veterinary surgeon and ensures we only offer holidays with excellent, healthy, happy horses. We build long term business partnerships with the ride hosts and frequently visit our rides to check on-going standards. Naturally we also welcome feedback from clients and act on this. We offer a 24hr mobile emergency number to all our clients so you are never stranded abroad.
6. Real People We are not just an internet company. We were established in 1999, we have business offices in Bedfordshire, we have named staff who are all experienced travel advisors, we issue an annual brochure, we are featured in the press, and you'll often see us at the various horse shows. You can read more about our philosophy and see the profiles of our staff by clicking on the About Us link. All our staff are riders and specialise in matching your riding experience and budget to suitable rides. We know all our rides personally and offer impartial advice. We pride ourselves on our flexible, personal approach with our clients and have made many friends along the way who return year after year. Both you and your money are safe with a Unicorn holiday. We are a fully bonded and insured company. We readily accept all credit and debit cards and if you wish you can even use our secure website to book and pay for your holiday.
7. We like to go that extra mile If you have a disability that affects your riding, or perhaps a special dietary condition just let us know. If you're celebrating a special occassion we can arrange champagne and flowers in your room or even a candle lit dinner for two under the stars. We offer loyalty rewards for repeat clients: receive £50 off the third ride booked in 2 calendar years and an automatice 5% discount when you go on the same horse riding holiday a second time. We tailor make many of our rides and can usually offer good group discounts.
8. Lots of extra services We help you find not only the perfect riding holiday, flights and the usual travel services but many extras:
- travel incurance specifically for horse riding holidays and FSA trained consultants
- escorted tours to adventurous destinations
- visa service
- packing lists and where to buy all the gear you need for your holiday
- find a ride buddy to travel with
9. We save you time Booking with Unicorn relieves you from all the tiresome hassle of trying to research and vet equestrian riding holidays yourself. It will normally cost you no more to book with us than if you book direct and you will have the added assurance that we know our rides and our ride hosts personally. We know the riding level required; we know whether the guides speak good English; we know the temperaments of the horses; type of saddles used and pace of the riding; we know the accommodation; we know the typical menus served. We would never send any client on a ride that we ourselves would be unhappy with and our view is impartial. If we don't have your dream holiday we'll tell you fair and square.
10. Interactive web site with live availability and booking Browse through our rides on this website and read about the rides we offer, not forgetting to look at the photos. You can download our brochure in PDF format if you wish or perhaps you would like to request further details on a particular ride using our simple online email form. You may simply want to submit an enquiry. Best of all why not check availability for your chosen dates - for most rides you can do this online - and then if it is available you can even book online using our secure site. Mail us before 4pm and we aim to contact you before close of business. Naturally you may also telephone us at any time.
Choosing rides from our huge range can be a challenge in itself and you may find yourself going into overload with all these fabulous holidays, but we can help you to narrow down your choice. You may already know which regions and countries you are interested in. However check out our ride category selector. Here you can look for rides by the following categories:
So as you can see there is something for everyone. WE CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!
Unicorn Trails is very proud to have rides all over the world. Here is a list of the countries we ride in. To see the relevant web page and learn more the country and our rides there, just click on the link:
To create great photobooks of your riding holidays click the link below. They're really easy to make and look superb. We're great fans and have our personal "travelogue" books. We even have mugs of ourselves riding in various spots around the world!
A - You've never been on a horse before or only walked on a horse.
B - You can mount without help and have had a few lessons in a riding school. You can trot and may have ridden out at a walk.
C - You've mastered the basic aids. You can ride a well-schooled horse in walk, rising trot (posting), and for short periods of canter in a school or even outside.
D - You can control a well-schooled horse at walk, trot and canter in open country. You're happy to ride for several hours and may have some jumping experience.
E - You are confident and relaxed on horseback at all paces in open country and are happy to jump. You have an independent seat and soft hands. You may have owned or shared your own horse and have experience of riding a variety of horses.